Search This Blog

Monday 21 April 2014

Great Nan's Cheese Scones

I'm almost a little reluctant to share this recipe! It's very precious to me! And it feels like sharing something very personal! I have very fond memories of Saturday afternoons as a child at my Great Nan and Gramps' house, my Nan always put on a spread of home baked goods for the family when they visited, and the cheese scones were always a firm favourite of mine! Just a couple of years ago, as my interest in cooking grew, I visited Nan and had her show me how to make them myself. They are surprisingly simple, but to me, nothing compares! I'd know one of my Nan's scones in a line up any day! And I like to think mine are very similar!


Ingredients 
340g self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
85g margerine or slightly softened, cubed butter
100g cheese- you can use any hard cheese that you like, although Nan used mature cheddar!
1 egg, beaten in a measuring jug and made up to 6 fluid oz liquid with milk

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 170C fan. 

2. Put the flour, baking powder and butter or margarine in a large mixing bowl, and rub lightly with your fingers until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.

3. Stir through the grated cheese.

4. Pour the egg and milk mix into the bowl and stir through until just combined.
Holly's Hints- take care not to over work the mix, to ensure a light and crumbly scone.


5. Gather the mix into a ball with your hands and place on a lightly floured work surface, roll into a long sausage shape, about 6-7cm thick.


6. With a sharp bread knife and a sawing action, slice the sausage into 12 round scone shapes.


7. Place the scones on a baking tray, brush the tops with a little milk, then bake for around 20minutes, or until risen and golden.

8. Slice through and serve spread with butter and a little pickle if you wish. In the picture here I had mine with a little of my red pepper jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment